In the age of social media, the marketing domain for businesses is brimming with prospects. While the social media radar was screaming with Facebook and Twitter marketing strategies, Pinterest quietly dropped the anchors and secured its spot. The year 2010 marked the rise of the underdog.
The packed powerhouse of a tool that Pinterest is, opened new doors that didn’t exist before. What users didn’t like, share, post, or follow, they pinned. And Pinterest quickly became the talk of the digital town.
Pinterest is more than just a channel for interesting DIY tips and delicious recipes. It is a new intervention in social media marketing. It is the social media miracle that has the potential to generate revenues for your business.
To make Pinterest work for your business, you would need to have a plan. Here are few tips as recommended by a professional digital marketing agency in Toronto.
Target the 100 Million User Base
Pinterest kicked off in March 2010, with a user base of 5,000. It took them only a few years to hit the 100 million count. Your job is to:
- target the ideal audience from among that mountain of a number
- understand what your audience finds interesting
You can carry this out in two ways.
- Check what other brands of a similar industry are doing on Pinterest.
- Keep a tab on the types of pins that garner considerable attention.
Once you get an idea of what drives the most engagement, you can start planning out your strategy.
Leverage Pinterest-User Preferences
We all love creative visuals. Make that vibrant and useful too, and we would re-pin the image to moon and back. In fact:
- Images with multiple dominant colours get re-pinned 3 times more than images that sport a single dominant colour.
- The usage of red, brown and orange colours outperform the colour blue.
It has been found that:
- Descriptions, which are 200 characters long, tend to get re-pinned more.
- Taller the image, higher is its chance for re-pins.
- The most commonly pinned images are about design.
In a certain survey carried out by Pinterest on its users, it was found that users’ category of choice varies with the days of the week. Technology is for Tuesdays and fashion rules Fridays. Wondering what Saturdays are the best for? Travel, of course.
The most popular category award on Pinterest is Food!
Two more facts to help you along the way:
- The most popular age group to frequent Pinterest lies between 25 and 34 years.
- 43% of people prefer to associate with retailers or brands over Pinterest.
Get More People to Follow You
Of course, the powerful tool would not prove to be effective enough if you cannot accumulate a strong follower list. The easiest way to do this is by posting some really interesting pictures regularly to grab the attention of the users. A few other ways that can help you garner followers would be:
- Your Pinterest user name should be the same as your company name. And you should not compromise on the necessary company details in the ‘About Profile’ section. A negative impression that an empty section generates is unhealthy for follower count.
- There should exist a seamless link among all your social media sites and that includes Pinterest too.
- Following other companies with a similar industry focus can be of huge help too.
It has been found that the following 3 factors are important in scooping up more followers on Pinterest:
- The number of users that you follow
- The number of boards that you have
- And of course, the number of pins you have
Focusing on these can help you stay on top of your game. And even when you have gathered a hefty bunch, do not forget to keep interacting with them.
Conduct Pinterest Contests
Everyone loves participating in contests. The first step is to identify what it is going to be all about. You could ask users to create boards by pinning their favourite images from your store. Or, it could be anything you prefer.
You would need to create an attractive poster for the contest to grab user attention. Once you have done that, pin it on your board and promote it over other channels. The one with the best board takes away a small token of appreciation, which could be a gift certificate or a free goodie. These contests generate a lot of buzz and influence purchasing decisions too.
Pinterest can have a large impact on social media campaigns. You can make the most of it by employing the above tips. And do not forget to keep a tab on the results. This is because a closer look will furnish what works and what doesn’t. That’s invaluable for any business.
What other tips would you like to add to this list? We would love to hear from you too.