SEO is nothing but a marketing tool. A super-talented marketing expert cannot promote a product or service if he does not understand how the product works and what are the special features it has. And to market the product creatively, the marketer should have a solid knowledge about the product.
When you do SEO, you have to understand your client’s website. Few basic things you have to do before starting SEO for a client:
- Understand their target audience and country
- Understand their objectives – traffic, conversion or clicks on ads
- Understand the business – special features, how are they different
- Study the market; watch the competitors and their online behavior
- Start keyword research – consider the client’s input and use your own knowledge to decide on the keywords
- Think of article topics that can create a buzz for the client
- Think of niche-specific online platforms where you can promote your client
- Find out web spaces where you can place banner ads to have a strong online presence
- Decide which social media channels can be good for the client
- Find the target audience on Social Media and reach to them
With no understanding on how your client does business, you can do a lot of article submission and directory submissions, but you cannot think out of the box. To stand above the average you have to go that extra mile, do your own homework and prepare yourself to take up the project. And while preparing the marketing plan, apply your understanding of it. Unless you know the terminologies and industry-specific terms, you cannot write an acceptable Meta tag even!
And when it comes to Social Media Marketing or community building, this domain knowledge becomes more important. Without a fair understanding of the market, the product and the service, you cannot engage the customers in a conversation.
Stand out of the crowd, study your client’s business properly, know about the product, do some basic research and then start working on it.