Though not very new, page segmentation analysis for search engines has come into focus in the recent past. Page segmentation implies how search engine divides a web page into separate blocks to analyze each segment independently. It helps search engines to sort out the main sections of the page and focus on it while weed out the accessories like navigational elements, header, footer, etc. However, the introduction of HTML 5 has brought this issue on the surface once again.
Addition of some new tags for in HTML 5 promises improved page segmentation that was not possible with this presentation language so far. Let’s take a look as how HTML 5 is going to benefit SEO page segmentation. As page segmentation leads to a more accurate understanding of a particular page’s relevancy the new tag elements in HTML 5 are expected to prove beneficial for optimized web design.
Let’s take a look what’s HTML 5 has to offer.
- Tag: The new tags can be used to mark any sort of online entries including forum post, blogs, and articles. In a way, it will help the search engine to concentrate on the main content of the page. It gives a relief from using several tags for better display and management of on-page content.
- Tag: The new tag for marking different sections of a page can have its own HTML heading. The tag can be used to exploit the relevancy factor. The search engine will treat the section containing the keyword in greater number as more relevant than any other sections and focus on it.
- Tag: The tag similar to existing tag in terms of functionality ensures greater flexibility by allowing marking long texts, even an entire paragraph as well as hard-coded links in addition to common header elements such as H1, H2, H3, etc.
- Tag: Similarly the tag can contain all the important information at the bottom of a page as well as a section.
- Tag: Navigational elements are important factors from SEO perspective. The new tag can be used to point out the set of links to other pages to the search engine.
With these tags, it will now be easier for the webmasters to direct the search engine about how to segment the page. The coding will be much cleaner resulting in the faster crawl of a page by the search engine robots. It not only adds to the flexibility of the presentation language but also makes it easier for the search engine to decide importance and assign relevancy of a particular section with respect to a particular search term.