Search engine optimization can definitely seem complicated at the start of a digital marketing campaign. After all, major companies like Microsoft and Google employ some of the best brains in the industry to make their search engine algorithms as effective as possible. Hence, it’s quite natural for you to feel a bit overwhelmed with all the SEO-friendly recommendations made by experts at the beginning of a campaign.
So instead of stressing yourself out with all the nitty-gritty operational technicalities followed by an SEO company in Toronto, start from the basics and climb up the ladder. The following tips can help.
1) Title tag optimization
Every web page should have a unique title tag of its own. A title tag plays a huge role in improving the SEO ranking of a page. Hence, you need to ensure that it’s optimized in the best possible manner to maximize results in the long run.
An ideal title tag should:
- Include a product or a service-related keyword. [Do not stuff* it all around though. Once or twice is fine.]
- Not be more than 70 characters (and this includes spaces as well).
- Be informative and intriguing enough to compel users to click on it.
- NOT be deceptive in any way whatsoever.
*Note: Overstuffing of keywords is a poor SEO practice which may lead to over-optimization penalties from search engines. So be careful with that.
2) Create informative and compelling meta descriptions
It’s true that the meta description of a page doesn’t really have a direct hand in improving the SEO rankings on a SERP. But they do have the ability to draw in all those precious little clicks from major search engine platforms. So how can you write the perfect meta descriptions for your webpage? Maybe, the following tips can help:
- Keep your meta useful, relevant, unique, and most importantly, SHORT.
- Include a call to action statement in your meta description compelling users to take action immediately.
- Make it look as if you are providing a benefit or a solution. Try not to discuss problems in your descriptions. Stress more on the solution.
- The meta description should NOT be deceptive in any way whatsoever. Deceptive meta descriptions can increase the bounce rate of your website; something that is considered to be a poor SEO practice, in general.
- The meta description should be made right to the point.
- Last but not the least, The meta descriptions should not exceed 160 characters in all.
3) Use keyword-rich headings in the body of the content
So the title and the meta description are already discussed in the first two points of this article. But what about the rest of the page content? It’s almost as important as those two.
So here are your things to remember:
- When it comes to optimizing the text of your webpage, one of the best things that you do is to include <h2> tags containing your target keywords in it.
- Search engines do place an added weight on the content of these tags for your own good. So you will always be at a benefit as far as the SEO of these pages is concerned.
4) Add ALT tags to images (if any)
If you choose to have images in your content (which is a good practice indeed), make sure you add ALT-tags to the same for an improved SEO result.
ALT tags were mainly used as a form of text-to-speech conversion for visually impaired people, in particular. Although this initial purpose is still valid today, the content found in these ALT-tags can still have a direct hand in improving the SEO results of a page. So never ignore them in any way whatsoever.
5) Consider adding a sitemap
The addition of a site map with links made to all other major pages on the site can make it easier for spiders to search your site on the internet.
So consider adding one to your page for improved SEO results.
6) Create SEO-friendly URLs
Your webpage URL can affect the SEO rankings of your page for good, provided you create them the right way.
Always try to include keywords in your URL to get the best possible results. For example,
DO NOT overdo it though. A URL exhibiting more than 3 hyphens in all tend to look spammy from the point of view of the audience. So refrain from using that practice for your very own good.
Note: Always use hyphens in URLs; NOT underscores. Hyphens are treated as space; NOT underscores.
7) Practice interlinking between pages
Internal links connecting to different pieces of your website content is a great way to help search engine crawlers catalog the pages of the site for your own good.
Instead of simply linking to the “Contact us” or “Our partners” page from the navigation bar of your homepage, consider adding text-based links to these pages from the body of your content. This can provide the much-needed SEO-boost to your website in the right direction.
8) Update your site periodically
Regular site updates can definitely benefit your SEO results, on the whole.
That’s because the top priority of search engines is to serve up the latest and the most relevant results to the users to meet all their requirements. Hence, they prefer to share sites containing the latest and the most up-to-date information of all. So the more the quality of content you post on your website, the more your SEO rankings improve for good.
Additionally, the more the content you post on your site, the more chances you get to include keywords on your website. This creates a significant boost in the chances of search engine traffic generation for your own SEO advantage.
So is there something not to like? Guess not!
Note: The easiest way of making regular site updates a part of your SEO strategy is to have a website blog or a separate news section where you can update the content at your convenience. Both of these practices will help you connect with your readers, and at the same time, will also appease the search engines’ cravings for fresh content.
Get in touch with a professional SEO agency in Toronto to create a blog or a news section for your website (if needed).